Fish and seafood are important components of the diet of chickens when they are kept in private households. They serve as a source of protein and calcium, and directly affect the egg production of poultry. But when feeding these products it is necessary to adhere to certain rules, which are not always familiar to inexperienced poultry farmers. More often beginners in breeding chickens are interested in the question of whether it is possible to feed chickens with raw fish.
What fish and how much is fed to the bird
Fish is a valuable product in the nutrition of chickens. But it is important to know how to give fish to chickens so that it will bring only benefit and not harm. Commercial species contain the maximum benefit for poultry and a large amount of minerals.
For the feeding of poultry you can buy low-cost types of marine fish:
You can also feed chickens with fish waste: entrails, heads of small species. There is less benefit from river fish, but it can also be included in the diet.
The product must be present in the bird menu 1-2 times a week, not more. After its use, birds begin to suffer from increased thirst, so with a lack of water in the troughs, dehydration can occur.
But excessive chicken consumption of seafood can adversely affect the quality of eggs and meat. Some poultry farmers say that after feeding large quantities of fish to chickens, eggs and meat acquire a characteristic, unpleasant smell.
The optimal consumption of the product is 1 kilogram per 15 heads once a week or not more than 10 grams per day per adult hen per day. Once every 7–15 days, hens are allowed to feed fish waste.
Rules for feeding fish
The rules and rules for the inclusion of fish in the diet of chickens depend on the age and type of bird. For example, the opinion of poultry farmers on whether it is possible to give raw fish to broilers, is divided.
Some feed the bird any fish, including waste and scales, others strongly oppose it. As for the hens, most poultry farmers say that it’s impossible to feed them with raw fish, as it gives an unpleasant smell to the eggs.
Many poultry farmers continue to feed chickens with fresh fish and claim that it does not have any negative impact on the health of birds.
Basically it is worth adhering to the following recommendations of veterinarians and experienced poultry farmers:
- Commercial fish, frozen in blocks, can be given in the form of meat, adding to wet mash.
- Freshly caught river in raw form can not be given. Meat and entrails can be a source of helminth infection in chickens.
- It is safer to give fish in boiled form. Boil it is necessary to such a condition that the bones are softened. After boiling, the product should be thoroughly chopped and added to the mash.
Fish in the diet of chickens
Novice poultry farmers are interested in whether chicks can be given a fish. In the diet of chickens, including broilers, you can include this product, starting from the 6th day of life.
- At the same time it needs to be completely freed from the bones or chopped together with them in a meat grinder. Feed the chickens fish with bones can not be, as the chicken can damage the esophagus bone.
- Regarding raw fish in the diet of chickens, the response of veterinarians is negative.
- Chicken treats are mixed with grits or boiled eggs. You need to start this lure with a very small amount, watching the reaction of chicks.
- If the litter of chickens has changed, it is necessary to temporarily exclude the product from their diet.
Fish meal, as an alternative to fresh produce
Experienced poultry farmers are advised to include in the diet of poultry a dry type of animal feed - fish meal. This product is obtained industrially by processing fish waste.
According to the fat content, fish meal is divided into fat (20%) and low-fat (2-3%). Low-fat flour is stored longer, therefore valued higher.
Fish meal contains in its composition up to 60% protein and a large amount of amino acids and minerals, therefore, it is considered a valuable product for the organization of nutrition for poultry.
Why do chickens have fish and seafood
Fish, like all animal products, brings great benefits to chickens. It is a source of vitamins, protein, calcium and other minerals.
- It is superior in content of useful substances to traditional vegetable chicken feed: cakes and cake.
- The addition of seafood to the diet of poultry affects the number of eggs laid by chickens and their quality. The yolks become brighter, often the hens begin to lay two yolk eggs.
- The large amount of calcium contained in this product has a positive effect on egg shell. The shell becomes durable and eggs are stored longer.
- Another positive aspect of the inclusion of the product in the diet of chickens - a quick set of muscle muscle bird due to the intake of protein.
Broiler fish is especially useful as calcium is necessary for the formation of strong bones, and this is important with accelerated growth and a large body mass of these breeds.
General feeding recommendations
Chickens are almost omnivorous, so they are happy to use any food that the owners put in their feeders. But this does not mean that birds can be fed with any products from the host table.
The natural diet consists of the following products:
- Grain, plant seeds,
- Grass, greens, hay,
- Berries, vegetables, fruits,
- Small insects, worms.
With the content of the chicken menu closed, the owner is the owner, and he definitely needs to know what is possible and what can not be fed the bird. Layers can consume only some leftovers from the master table.