Growing chicken costs poultry farms are not very cheap. Most of the costs associated with the acquisition of feed. To reduce his losses, you need to choose the right trough. It depends on their design how much the chicken will transfer the grain. The best option is considered to be factory-made chickens feeder, but if you are knowledgeable, you can assemble it yourself.
The difference in materials
Feeders for chickens are made of wood, metal or plastic. The choice of material depends on the type of feed for which the structure is designed. So, the difference in material:
- The most common are wooden structures. They are designed for feeding dry fodder to chickens. Wood is a natural material, and it is best suited for grain, dry fodder, and various mineral additives.
Properly selected material for the feeder contributes to the safety of food, and, therefore, its economy.
The difference in the way of feeding
On how food will be fed to the trough, depends on the ease of feeding the birds. After all, it is much more convenient once a day to feed the hens than to run to the barn at short intervals.
According to the method of feeding, the feeders are divided into the following types:
- The simplest tray model is more suitable for feeding the young. The design is a conventional container with sides, preventing the rash of food. Most often, such feeders give an elongated shape.
- Grooved models are equipped with a turntable or a separating removable mesh. The inner part of the structure may have dividing partitions, forming separate compartments for different feeds. Such feeders are usually placed outside the cage for adult chickens, so that they only reach for food with their heads.
- Very good in terms of service models of bunker type. They are intended for the filling of dry feed and grain. Usually the size of the bunker is calculated on the daily supply of feed. From below, the structure is equipped with a tray in which food is poured out of the bunker as it is eaten by the hens.
The photo shows a clear example of several types of chickens. Automatic models are the same bunker feeders. They are just so called because of the way of feeding.
The difference in location in the house
And the last thing that chicken feeders can differ in is where they are located. In a chicken coop or cage, two types of structures are used:
- Outdoor type is convenient due to mobility. Capacity can, if necessary, rearranged to any place in the chicken coop.
- The hinged type is fixed to the house wall or cage. Such feeders are convenient in terms of sustainability. In any case, the chicken will not be able to overturn the container with food.
Sometimes poultry farmers practice the simultaneous use of both types of feeders. The convenience of feeding chickens is determined empirically, depending on the breed of bird, the age, and also the characteristics of the room for their maintenance.
What are the requirements for chicken feeders?
There are few requirements for chicken feeders, and all of them are aimed at the economical use of food, and ease of maintenance. Let's take a look at three important points:
- Capacity for feeding chickens must have a protective device that allows rational use of feed. If the chicken has free access to food, she quickly rakes it, throws it out of the tank, plus litter gets into the feed. All kinds of turntables, nets, bumpers, lintels and other devices prevent the bird from carelessly moving with the grain.
- A good feeder is one that is easy to maintain. The tank needs to be filled daily with food, as it is cleaned, it is cleaned and even washed. The material of the feeder and its design should facilitate the maintenance of care. Well, if the container is collapsible, it is easy to wash and have a small weight.
- The capacity should be enough for at least one-time feeding of the livestock, and the dimensions should be selected with such a condition that all chickens have free access to food. To calculate the length of the tray, a minimum of 10 cm is taken for each adult hen. There will be enough 5 cm space in the feeder for the chickens. In the circular trays, each chicken is given 2.5 cm of free space.
With any device feeders they should be enough for the simultaneous feeding of all chickens. If these conditions are not observed, a strong bird will repel food from weak individuals.
Vertical PET Bottle Hopper
The simplest version of the hopper of plastic bottles is presented in the photo. For one design, you need one capacity of 1.5, 2 and 5 liters. The manufacturing procedure is as follows:
- A 1.5 liter bottle is used to make a feed hopper. To do this, cut the bottom, and near the neck in a circle drill holes with a diameter of about 20 mm.
- From the two-liter bottle, the bottom is cut off, leaving a side about 10 cm on it. This will be the cover of the bunker.
- From the 5 liter bottle, they also cut the bottom, leaving a side about 15 cm high on it. We have a container where the feed will be poured out of the bunker. Now, in the center of the cut bottom, a hole is drilled, the diameter of which is equal to the size of the threaded neck of a 1.5 liter bottle. Exactly the same hole must be made in a piece of plywood. It is necessary for the stability of the feeder.
- Now all the details connect together. At the neck of a 1.5 liter bottle, they put a bottom of a 5 liter container, then a piece of plywood, and they all do it with a stopper. The feeder is ready.
The design is turned over so that the cork of 1.5 liters of the bottle is on the bottom. So, we have a vertical bunker. Inside we pour the grain, and we cover the reconciliation with a lid from the bottom of a 2 liter bottle. Through the holes near the neck of the feed poured into a container made from the bottom of a 5 l bottle.
Two options feeders from the 5 liter bottle
A simple version of homemade feeders for chickens presented in the photo from a 5 l bottle. Near the bottom in a circle with a knife cut openings of arbitrary diameter in order to spill food. The bottle is placed in any bowl of larger diameter. With the help of copper wire put spacers, piercing the side walls of the bottle and bowl. Inside the bottle through the neck with a watering can pour food. He pours into the bowl through the holes.
In the second embodiment, the design of the bowl can not be used. Holes cut through 15 cm above the bottom of the bottle. The window is made of such a size that a chicken's head would fit in there. Feed fall asleep through the neck, as in the previous design.
Bunker Feeder for Chickens
To make a bunker feeder for chickens with your own hands, you need plywood or sheet steel. First make up the design drawings. On the sheet of the chosen material, paint the front wall of the bunker with the size of 40x50 cm, and the back wall with the size of 40x40 cm. Additionally, two identical tapered parts are drawn from which the side walls will be made. For the lid draw a rectangle larger than the top of the bunker.
All parts are cut out with an electric jigsaw. Plywood hopper connect with hardware and rails. Steel fragments are welded with gas or electric welding. From the bottom of the bunker leave a gap for spilling feed. In the same part fasten the oblong tray. For the convenience of backfilling feed cover cling to the hinges.
In the video bunker model feeders:
This is not a complete list of possible options - the article describes only the most popular ones. Having shown ingenuity and imagination, you can come up with your own design, as long as the product is durable and safe for feathered pets.