From time immemorial there are a great many kinds of different flower gardens. It can be a variety of beds among the stones and trees. Rock garden is called a flower garden, which is located on a small artificial hill, at a certain angle. If the composition of stones is on a flat area where there are no elevations, it is called rock aquarium.
When comparing rock aquarium with an alpine slide, you can see the advantages of the first. Creating an alpine slide can seem quite difficult and expensive to ordinary people. To do this, it is necessary to prepare drainage, pick up and distribute stones on the hill. At the same time, in order to create rockeries with your own hands, you only need to be attentive when choosing materials and drawing up a plan for a flower garden.
One of the main positive features of rockeries is the variety of plants that the owners would like to plant on their plot. As a rule, in the alpine hill more attention is paid to stones, and the plants there are not as diverse as in rockeries.
If you go further in the use of stone and rubble, you can get a gravel garden or appropriate flower beds. Today it is a very modern and fairly common way to decorate the area around the house. We will also consider this option.
In the world there are many ways to create rockeries. Consider some of them. Japanese style - soothing, without an abundance of bright colors. It combines a small amount of bright colors with decorative plantings. Also, style implies an abundance of stones, the most popular of which is granite. Potted plants are most often used, various sculptures are allowed. All this is highlighted, creating a certain atmosphere. To create such harmony, you need to have a refined taste and a sense of style.Rockery and dry brook complement each other
English style is a colorful landscape with an abundance of evergreen vegetation. Coniferous plants are present here, which will surely charge you with a good mood all year round, and you will be pleased with a variety of flowers, cereals and deciduous plants.
In European style, we will meet with unpretentious plants, adapted to the weather conditions of central Russia. Wildlife flowers can be used that will sprout themselves every new season. Not very large shrubs are also planted, they are distinguished by unusual foliage. This option is optimal, and you can easily create it yourself, anywhere, and this method of registration does not require much care.Rockery well with the pond
Where to start?
First of all, it is recommended to find the location of rockeries. There are some wishes for its placement: first of all, it is important to combine with other decorative elements of your site, various flower beds, fountains, and so on:
- Also, do not have rockeries too close to the house. In early spring, the snow accumulated on the roof can cause damage to the composition as it falls.
- No need to worry about damage to the background with a fence or other buildings, the problem is easily solved with climbing plants that can give a beautiful background to the composition.
- When creating a rock aquarium, you should not worry about its location on a bright place or in a darker place; you can choose plants for specific conditions before planting. However, if you already know the types of plants that will definitely be in your rockeries, you will need to act in accordance with their requests.
Distribution and installation of stones, planting
Consider the step-by-step scheme and photo of creating rockeries on your own. To organize a composition of stones, first of all, you need to prepare a site. This process should begin with the removal of topsoil, this is done in order to destroy weeds. Depth of removal can vary from 10 to 15 cm. It is also necessary to remove all weed roots from the territory and cover it with geotextiles, which will not allow new weeds to sprout.Geotextile protects the stone flower garden from unnecessary weeds
At the next stage of creating rockeries, it is necessary to fill up gravel or brick chips throughout the whole area in order to eliminate moisture accumulation in the flower garden. After that, you should sprinkle the flower bed with sand, carefully tamping it.
After all the above actions, you can proceed to the placement of stones. They should be chosen smooth, large and pleasant-looking. It will look good stones of different sizes. It would also be nice if they were all the same breed, although this is not necessary. Before installing them, it is necessary to make indentations in the soil in which the stones will be securely fastened. After installation, the perimeter of the stones should be sprinkled with sand and also tamped.
When the stones are beautifully laid, you can proceed to the main action - planting plants. When creating a flower bed, you can choose any plants that you like. Welcome plants in height no more than half a meter, which can bloom all year round.
The last step is to lay out the decorative rubble. If you perform this process before completing work with plants, crushed stone can interfere and trample down into the sand.
Flat rockeries and plants in it
When creating medium-sized rockeries, 8-16 different plants should be used. It can be all kinds of conifers and deciduous plants. Lovers of stone gardens often used ferns, cereals, bulbous plants.
When creating rock arias, it is worth considering a variety of conifers, original shrubs that will decorate the territory with their fruits and flowers before the cold weather begins. Arranging coniferous rock arion, you can use different low-growing plants, for example, dwarf pine, ornamental thuja, juniper. The most favorable conditions for planting conifers in rockeries come in the fall or early spring.
If we consider shrubs and deciduous plants, azaleas, barberries, and boxwood are suitable for rock arias. Create a smooth transition to the garden from the rocky site will help a variety of perennials. When planting plants, it is worth leaving some space between them, at first it can be decorated with rubble or dumping, and after a while perennials will grow, hiding bare places.
Gravel gardens and their benefits
If you compare the gravel gardens with the generally accepted design of the site, then the former have much more advantages:
- using a gravel design, you can refine any piece of land,
- you can choose for yourself what size the composition will be, what area it will occupy,
- gravel garden requires a minimum cost of its design,
- care is as simple as possible
- the ease of creation, thanks to simple technology, will allow, without putting a lot of effort, to create with your own hands a wonderful gravel garden.
First you need to select and mark the desired area, and then border the boundaries of the site with a rope. Then you need to remove a small layer of soil, about 20 centimeters, by selecting the roots of the weeds. After that, you need to moisten the soil in the resulting pit and wait 11 days, then remove all newly formed plant roots.
To eliminate excess moisture for plants growing in the area, soil drainage is usually undertaken. First, the site is dug up with the addition of 2-3 spoons of baking powder in the form of brick chips, sand, expanded clay sand. Then the soil must be compacted and covered with a dense geotextile. Density can vary from 100g / m to 140g / m.Gravel ground with flower garden and hammock
Work with gravel
Of course, it will be much more convenient if you place all the decorative elements before the direct filling of gravel: pots and plants, evaluate the resulting composition, and only then proceed to filling. Well washed gravel is very rarely of a light tone, therefore, to solve design problems, you should use crushed stone, stone or brick chips, sea and river pebbles and other colored materials ranging in size from 2 to 25 mm. At 10-17 square meters is to count the consumption of about a ton of filler.
Planting green garden dwellers
Planting begins with shrubs in places defined by the plan in advance. When the planted bushes begin to grow, the planting of perennial plants begins, which will serve as the backdrop. After that, the onion plants are used. Planting them is worth several copies, located closer to each other, because one at a time these plants look not so impressive and deteriorate from gusts of wind and rain.Elements of the gravel garden at the track
Gravel is removed in the place determined for landing, and an incision is made in geotextiles, it is better if it is cruciform. Turning the formed petals, we get a hole in which it is very convenient to dig a hole. Its size should be taken into account in the shape of the roots of the planted plant. Spreading the roots, sapling cover 4-5-cm layer of soil. Having moistened the roots, they are squeezed tightly with earth, then the removed gravel is returned to the place and the plant is plentifully watered.
The final step will be the planting of seeds of vegetable crops. These are usually biennial or annual plants. The planting of the first is carried out in early spring, as soon as the soil is ready, and the second - at the beginning of summer, which will give confidence in the further germination of biennial plants.
What is worth stopping your eyes when choosing plants for a garden of gravel?
An excellent example for planting can be a holly-leaf mahonia plant. It combines excellent color contrast, attracting everyone's attention with its fruits, sourish in taste. There are plants called "host". They will decorate your site with the help of their unusually wide leaves. At the same time the plant does not require special care, doing without a transplant for a long time. A variety of ferns, irises, too, will not require a lot of time for you to care for themselves. In combination with gravel, plants with silvery leaves look great. Among them are Chistits, lavender, cloves, and so on.Colorful fragment of gravel garden
How should care for rockeries?
Instructions for the care of rockeries is quite simple. As you know, a stone garden is very different from a flower bed. The plants chosen for it perfectly tolerate the local climate and do not require daily care. Of course, after some time, a bed of stones will need plenty of watering from a hose or a watering can and in a rare feeding. The need for soil will arise only in a few years. To provide plants with favorable conditions at the end of autumn and in winter, it is better to cover them. Also, it is necessary to permanently remove dried parts of plants: stems, flowers, leaves. Thinning may be necessary if the plantings grow and become too thick.
Forms of rock garden decoration
When creating a full-fledged rock ariar with his own hands, occupying a significant part of the summer cottage or backyard plot, one can equip the most diverse of its constituent elements, united by a single compositional style, and one can restrict oneself to only one of them.
Depending on the solution, the possibilities, the rock garden can be presented:
- a small slide or steep cliff,
- marshy ravine or sunny stone slope,
- retaining wall or terraced flower garden,
- can be made in the form of a planar (simplified) version.
As a rule, built directly at the foot of the natural slope in the form of a stone wall. It performs several functions at the same time - it delays the shedding of soil and stones along the slope, it allows you to create terraced areas on the mountain relief, it can serve as a decorative fence (with bilateral execution).
As a building material using rectangular or flat stones. Depending on the height and load, the walls are laid using mortar or simply poured with soil with the addition of clay.
Especially effectively next to the retaining stone wall are representatives of low coniferous or woody species.
The main decorative element is skillfully selected stones, vegetation plays a secondary role.
When creating man-made cliffs and rocks, large natural stones with pronounced decorative qualities are used - uneven edges, weathering, and natural indentations. For this purpose, suitable samples of volcanic rock, tuff or dolomite, the main selection criterion - natural.
Planted on rocks and cliffs, plants should not focus on attention, it is recommended to limit yourself to low-key low-growing species (dwarf fern, stonecrop, ampelny bells) or lichen mosses.
Terraced flower garden
It is carried out in the form of an attractive multi-level composition consisting of narrow terraces (platforms) located one above the other, separated by a low stone wall or individual boulders.
It is advisable to create this element in large areas, otherwise it is better to limit it to one or two levels of terraces arranged near the retaining wall. As a rule, stone terraces are given the shape of natural steep slopes, thus making them attractive and convenient for planting green spaces (dwarf trees and creeping perennials).
One of the most common variants of a simplified rocky garden, created on flat terrain.
Mountainous terrain when creating rockeries is achieved through the skillful selection and placement of stone compositions, complemented by green vegetation. The height of the flower bed is achieved by large boulders, trees, tall shrubs, which harmoniously combine with stunted and ground-cover representatives of the flora.
More often the flat variant of execution is used to decorate the front side of the site or to decorate the recreation area. Between separate groups of stones paths are arranged, conditionally dividing the garden into separate elements.
Difference of a rock aria from the Alpine hill
Rockery, like an alpine slide, is a composition created from stones and plants, but there is still a gap between them. a number of differences:
- The relief of rock arias does not require an indispensable elevation or slope; it can also be equipped in a gentle place.
- A rock garden consists of light-loving plants, while rockeries can be shaded.
- The Alpine hill requires large stones to decorate and support longlines on a hill, rockeries can be of various sizes, up to fine gravel.
- The accent of rock garden - plants framed with stones, with rock aquarium, on the contrary - the plants emphasize their beauty.
- The presence of conifers of small size is allowed in the design of rock arias, their use in rock gardens is excluded.
- For registration rockery used a wider range of plants, and not only alpine.
A distinctive feature of the English style are the plants, selected in discreet colors, riot and variegation of colors are excluded. Cereal and coniferous plants are the best suited for it. Perennials and evergreens allow you to decorate the landscape with a composition that can exist for many years and even decades, delighting the eye with greenery.
European-style rock aria is characterized by planting plants growing in middle lane. These are ordinary plants: flowers, shrubs and conifers. For its design requires a minimum of effort - using local boulders and vegetation, corresponding to climatic conditions and landscape.
Japanese style is dominated by stone component using rare plant accents. Preference is given to the correct placement of natural stones of various shapes and sizes. Japanese stone gardens are famous all over the world, this is a philosophical concept that has its fans not only among the Japanese.
Choosing a place for composition
Having decided on the style, you need to choose the right place that meets all the requirements and conditions.
The first step is to study the site: its size, available landscape features and topography. For example, in a small area, the pompous heap of boulders will look somewhat unnatural. And vice versa, a small cozy oasis can easily be lost in the vast expanses of a large plot or under the shadow of spreading trees.
Of the features offered by the landscape, it is better to give preference to ravines, terraces and other irregularities. You can beat them with great imagination, turning it into interesting corners of nature.
If we talk about the cottage, it is unlikely to find a gully, a pond or a terrace on it, usually such areas represent a flat surface. In this case, do not be upset - rockeries are good because looks great on any surface. Следует учитывать освещенность выбранной территории и по возможности предпочесть солнечную, поскольку на тенистом участке очень ограничен выбор растений.
For beginners, it is advisable to start from a small area, honing the newly acquired skills of a landscape designer, since large areas are often not affordable for non-professionals. In addition, care for a small garden is easier than for a large rock aquarium.
It is better to avoid placing rock arias near buildings or fences, but if this cannot be avoided, it is better to curl them with climbing plants.
Selection of stones
Filling rockeries, you need to start with stones. They form composition concept. It is advisable to select "related", painted in one color and consisting of one material: granite, sandstone, quartzite, and so on. The composition should look harmonious.
You should not choose the same boulders in size and texture, so that rockeries do not look like a bunch of loaded building materials. Each stone has its own place and aesthetic role, well, if it is provided with unique irregularities and differs in size and shape from its neighbors, being, however, in a harmonious combination with them. Identical large stones combined into a composition will have a more advantageous appearance than small ones. It is better to stay on the sandstone, limestone or granite fragments.
Some practical tips:
- the basis should be a two-three large stones, a larger number will cause a feeling of piling up,
- gray granite is easily lost among the green, it is better to use stones of several shades,
- the foundation under the largest specimens is recommended to be concreted in order to prevent them from going deeper into the soil,
- there are opposing opinions about stones of different habitats: some designers recommend using the same type of stones, others - to create various combinations without fear of combining, for example, black granite and orange slate. In fact, the truth is in the middle, and the multiplicity of variations can be limited only by the taste of the designer and his preferences.
Having decided on the stones, it is time to move on to choosing the plant component of rock arias. The most commonly used representatives of the flora, conditionally divided into 4 types:
- Conifers. Mostly dwarf trees. For example, thuja, juniper, spruce and pine.
- Shrubs. Mostly stunted and compact. For example, cotoneaster, honeysuckle or potentilla.
- Perennial flowers. For example, a combination of herbaceous (geranium, primrose) and bulbous (narcissus, tulip, crocus, hyacinth).
- Ground covers. For example, cat's foot or phlox.
First of all, you should take care of evergreen vegetation, in particular this is important when choosing the English style.
The ephedra should:
- grow small size
- grow slowly
- be comfortable to trim.
If you have doubts about whether the shrub will take root, you can use the option with a plant in a tub. Rhododendrons - perennials, often used in the design of rockeries, especially Japanese, where they emphasize the conciseness of the style.
After the shrubs and trees are determined for permanent residence, it's time to start picking flowers. It is important to ensure the effect of continuous flowering: some bloom, others bloom. Flowers for rockeries use a variety of, depending on the concept and environmental conditions, their names and photos can be easily found on thematic resources and in special literature.
Here are some of them:
- tulips are short
- violet is wild.
In the absence of slopes in rockeries, it is recommended to resort to the services of moisture-loving plants: primrose, astilbe.
In flat rockeries, the use of cereals is popular, giving them some refined carelessness.
Step by Step process of creation
Having got hold of stones, seeds and seedlings, you can start building rockeries with your own hands, below is a step by step guide.
By this time, the site and style have already been chosen, in which the stone composition will be solved. It's time to implement a specific project. It is advisable to think over, and better, to draw a schematic arrangement of all the elements: stones and vegetation by grades.
- stable - are planned for many years, but there is a danger that they will get bored,
- changeable - always new flowers around a certain group of perennials, there are both constant and variable components,
- temporary - picturesquely located stones among the planted seedlings, as they grow, stones move or are removed.
Will consider step by step instructionshow to make rockeries. First of all, it is worthwhile to acquire patience, since this matter does not tolerate haste, and the mistakes made because of haste entail punishment.
It should start in late autumn, if not managed - in the spring.
- Draw on the ground the boundaries of the future rockeries.
- Remove by 20 centimeters and free the top sod layer from the weed roots.
- Cover territory with nonwoven fabric.
- Lay a layer of drainage: broken brick, crushed stone, pebbles, and compacted with sand, the layer should turn out the height of the same 20 centimeters.
- If you do not take care of the drainage layer, plants that do not like stagnant moisture can be seriously affected.
- Leave the plot alone for a period of 2 months to shrink. After a specified time, you can proceed to further work.
- Set large stones on the sand, which is already quite compacted and ready to take them.
- The remaining space is filled with the substrate in which the plants will be planted. It should not be particularly fertile, but the main thing in rockery is stones, and flowers should not overshadow them. However, the substrate must be well permeable to moisture and air.
- At the same time, it is necessary to check and correct the stability of the stones, if they are swaying, it is necessary to reinforce it with soil, rubble or even cement mortar.
- Watering the substrate with water, you need to make sure that it is not washed away, otherwise you will have to redo it. He must soak up the water and stay in the same place.
- After the time necessary for its subsidence, it is possible to start planting plants, depending on the concept and the preconceived scheme.
- First planted conifers, deepening them into the soil through the circle cut in the film. Next to them are shrubs, then flowers. Having finished with this, the film must be sprinkled with earth.
- In conclusion, the composition is made with small stones and dumping.
The size of the stones should be related to the size of the plants: the smaller they are, the smaller the rocky appearance.
Stony garden care
Already in early spring, rockeries should pay attention to:
- remove dry fragments
- pruning shoots of ground covers that have grown in an unnecessary direction,
- inspect the safety of plants after winter and plant new ones in return for the frozen ones,
- check the strength of the occurrence of stones and, if necessary, fix them,
- sow annuals in early May, plant sprouts in the middle,
- do not overdo it with this case, remembering the dominant role of stones,
- weed and grind the soil,
- start watering after the soil dries to a depth of 7-8 centimeters,
- whom it is necessary - to feed, not zealous especially, because plants should not grow,
- regularly clean up the outdated age: withered flowers, dried stems and the like, as well as cut and thin out,
- in the event of a pest or disease attack, take appropriate measures,
- shelter rockery for the winter can save flowers from freezing, and protect the stones from pollution.
As can be understood from the above, it is not at all difficult to create rockeries on their own land, everybody is able to do this if there is a desire.
Such a corner will always bring joy, and care it requires a minimum. Depending on mood or changing preferences, you can change its appearance, add something or remove unnecessary, with time it can be expanded if the landscape allows and the concept, which is not difficult to change.
Feeling like a landscape designer, really build and equip a wonderful corner, which will bring joy, peace and aesthetic pleasure.
Adding an article to a new collection
Rockery is a popular element of landscape design. We will tell you how to independently organize on the site a rock garden, from which it is impossible to look away.
Rockery - from the English word "rock", which means "rock." This form of a flower bed harmoniously combines the roughness of the stone and the tenderness of the plants.
Rock garden and rockeries - what's the difference?
Externally, rockeries resembles rock garden. But these flower beds still have differences:
- Location Alpine slides are organized on natural slopes, and any landscape (including the plain) is suitable for rock arias.
- Plants. When creating a rock garden, you need to choose exactly Alpine plants, and in the composition for rock arias any plants (annual and perennial), evergreen conifers, etc. can be present. The main thing is that they combine well with each other.
In addition, in the rock garden the dominant role is given to plants. There may be stones, but they should not be too much. And in the design of rockeries, stony surfaces come to the fore, among which are attractive plants.
Left - rock garden, right - rockeries
Choosing a place for rockeries
To rockeries did not look like a simple pile of stones, it must be organized in a suitable place. It is best to choose a territory with non-uniform terrain: hills, sharp differences. On an uneven surface, all that is left is to lay out the stones and plant the plants, and on the plain you will have to create small mountains artificially.
In addition, it is better to choose a sunny plot: thanks to this, you can expand the list of plants for rockeries, because there are not so many attractive shade-loving flowers.
Also note that the rockeries should fit organically into the style of the entire plot. If nearby there are unsightly buildings that spoil the background of the composition, decorate them with climbing plants in advance.
Honeysuckle honeysuckle, girlish grapes, clematis, climbing roses, wisteria, sweet peas are suitable for decorating the buildings.
The rocky hill goes well with a decorative stream and a small pond.
Doing rockeries with your own hands - step by step instructions
1. Make a rough plan for future composition. In the selected area, mark the boundaries of rockeries. They can be outlined with a rope or thin boards.
2. From the territory of the proposed rock ariya, remove the top layer of sod to a depth of 15–20 cm. Cover the resulting foundation pit with a nonwoven material (for example, geotextile). This cover will keep weeds growing.
3. Place a drain on the bottom. For this, red brick, crushed stone or gravel are best suited. After that, sprinkle a coarse sand layer on top of about 5 cm.
Without a good drainage system, plants can die from stagnant water.
4. Pour nutrient mixture over drainage. If the soil removed from this area is fertile enough, you can use it, but you must first carefully remove the weeds.
5. Adhere to the naturalness, lay the stones. At the base of the composition, place the largest ones - with an attractive and original surface. At the same time, do not forget to dig holes for them of appropriate sizes, and under the base of the most voluminous boulders you can additionally place crushed stone and tamp it carefully.
Do not rush to randomly lay out the stones, but think in advance where each of them will be. To create a composition, designed in a certain style, pick up stones of various sizes, but from one material. If you are a fan of strict style - pick up stones not only of the same structure, but also of hue.
Stones in rockeries should not stagger, even if you stand on them and try to shake.
And the rest in the choice of stones and their pattern of laying there are no strict rules. The main thing is that you like the resulting composition and fit perfectly into the design of the whole flower garden.
6. Pick up attractive plants you like and plant them in the ground between the stones.
You can also put container plants in rock ariar, and with the container
Want to create continuously blooming rockeries? Plant primroses (snowdrops, crocuses), tulips and muscars, which bloom in April-May, summer ground cover plants (awl-shaped phlox, survivor, spruce, and saxifrage).
In addition, when planting flowers it is recommended to combine them with each other in color, shape and size. Ensure that tall plants do not obscure compact green pets.
And also do not forget about conifers. These attractive trees adorn the rock garden all year round, and still provide useful essential oils that purify the air from the site of pathogenic bacteria.
7. If large gaps of soil can be seen between plants and stones, fill in there gravel, decorative expanded clay, crushed stone or river pebbles.
Look at the photos of these attractive rockeries - and they will surely inspire you to create a unique and beautiful composition in your own garden.
What styles of design exist?
Rockery in the garden in appearance resembles a rock garden: the compositions of both elements are formed from stones and plants. A distinctive feature between them is the relief location and the choice of plants for the composition. Rock gardens are located on the natural slopes of the site, and for creating compositions, the choice is limited exclusively to alpine plants.
Absolutely any landscape of the terrain, including absolutely flat soil, will be suitable as a plot for the creation of rock aquarium.
The choice of plants for rock arias is extensive: in creating a composition, you can use both evergreen conifers, flowering annuals.
How to choose beautiful annual flowers, you can learn from the material: https://diz-cafe.com/ozelenenie/odnoletnie-cvety.html
Regardless of the style in which the flower garden is made on the stones, the layout of the rockeries will be approximately the same.
Landscape designers distinguish three main styles of rockeries: English, Japanese and European. The difference between them is mainly based on the ratio of the number of stones and planted plants.
English style involves the use of long-lasting hvoyniki in the composition. Evergreen perennials are loved by the British because they allow you to create landscape decorations that are ready to last for decades.
European style provides for the creation of stone compositions that are as close as possible to the natural conditions of the middle zone in terms of content and composition.
Japanese-style emphasis is placed on stones: slides abound with granite boulders, occasionally decorated with bright touches of various plants.
The key to success is finding the right place.
Not every pile of stones, adorned with chaotically planted plants, can be safely called rock aquarium. Thinking about the question: how to make rockeries with your own hands, you should first correctly choose a place for a future composition.
Very well, if the terrain is heterogeneous and there are small hills and drops in it. The uneven surface serves as an ideal basis for creating decorative types of composition and realizing interesting ideas. Even a small hillock can be transformed into a dry scree, a system of ledges of a mountain valley or a picturesque cascade.
On a flat surface and you can create artificial relief changes or form a "flat" stone compositions.
Hilly terrain is convenient for creating various variations of “mountain” rock arias
Moments to consider when choosing a place for rockeries in the country:
- Preference should be given to solar areas, which will expand the choice of light-loving plants to create a luxurious flower garden.
- Rockery should fit seamlessly into the relief, combining into a single picture with other elements: a decorative “mountain” stream, height differences, retaining walls, an artificial pond.
- You can decorate buildings or a fence, which often spoil the background of the composition, with climbing plants or shrubs.
- It is undesirable to place a flower garden close to the house, since the spring melting of snow can lead to the destruction of the composition.
Rules of competent arrangement of rockeries
To simplify the embodiment of the idea of creating rockeries with their own hands will help the approximate plan of the future composition. After that, with the help of a cord, the dimensions of the area under the flower bed should be designated on the selected site. From the entire surface of the site, a layer of sod is removed to a depth of 15-25 cm, weed roots are selected from the soil. The bottom of the dug pit is carpeted with geotextile, which prevents the growth of weeds.
The device rockery can not do without such an important stage, as the arrangement of drainage, in which quality you can use gravel or red brick
The drainage system will save the flower garden on the stones from the accumulation of water. Для этого дно вырытого котлована укрывается слоем выбранного дренажного материала, затем засыпается 5 см слоем крупнозернистого песка и лишь после этого укрывается слоем грунта.
Некоторые садоводы в качестве дренажа применяют строительный мусор, но такое «соседство» может неблагоприятно сказаться высаженных растениях.
At the base of the composition are stones with an attractive surface of the largest size. When deciding how to make a rockeries so that it looks spectacular from any corner of the site, you should choose the most original side of the stones and deploy it outward from the flower bed.
Stones should be placed in small pits corresponding to their size. A layer of soil and rubble is poured under the base of the boulders, which are then carefully tamped so that there are no air pockets left. Check how well the "sitting" stone can, if you stand on it and try to shake a little.
When laying stones, one should adhere to the principle of naturalness: some small stones can be grouped in an original way, and large boulders can be set apart by filling the voids with plants. At the same time, every stone should be given a carefully thought-out place.
To create a composition in the same style, it is desirable to choose stones of different sizes, but from the same material. Small stones can be fastened with a special glue or mortar.
How to choose suitable stones, you can learn more from the material: https://diz-cafe.com/dekor/kamni-dlya-alpijskoj-gorki.html
What plants are better to use in the composition?
Properly selected plants, along with stones, represent the face of rockeries. The main advantage of rockeries is the ability to use any plants that will organically fit into the created landscape to decorate the flower garden.
Decorating the composition with a spectacular flowering and complementing each other, the plants will make a flower garden on stones elegant throughout the year.
With the first rays of the spring sun after the snow melts, snowdrops and crocuses will wake up, painting the flower garden with bright strokes of various shades. They will be replaced by short-growing tulips, muscari and primroses, delighting the eye with colorful flowering. With the onset of heat, letniki begin to rule with a ball of beauty in the flower garden, which look spectacular against the background of the lush greenery of the ground cover pillows: pinch, sunflower, cat's foot, zhivkochka, phyllose subulate ...
Also useful will be the material on the creation of rock arias with "Alpines": https://diz-cafe.com/diy/delaem-rokarij-svoimi-rukami.html
Groundcoverings, saber-grinders, young, sedums feel very comfortable surrounded by stones.
A rockery of conifers in front of the house will not only be a spectacular decoration of the landscape of the site. Essential oils secreted by pine needles have a positive effect on the well-being of the owners and guests of the site.
Super-dwarf plants: evergreen junipers, miniature thujas, pyramidal cypress trees, and spruce beauties will adorn small compositions.
Plants are desirable to combine with each other in color, shape and size in order not to disturb the integrity of the flower garden. The soil around the plants can be decorated as a gravel crumb, and river pebbles or ordinary rubble.
Despite the fact that this approach is considered a budget version, which does not require significant expenditures on the purchase of large boulders, with skillful incarnation, quite a decent result is achieved. Due to the contrast effect, on a textured gravel background, green plantings look much more attractive than on a normal lawn.
The advantages of a gravel stony garden are the availability of material, the possibility of planting unpretentious plants, ease of execution and care. Gravel front gardens are recommended to be filled with single shrubs, undemanding in the care of perennials, ground cover species.
We considered only the forms of creating the basic elements of the rock garden, in addition to which the device of rock arias can be varied with stone paths, stair steps, a small body of water.
Paths made of natural or artificial stone can be solid or intermittent. In the latter case, the space between the stones can be filled with stunted vegetation (stonecrop, antennaria, erica, acene, iberis, stonegrass). A simple ladder made of natural stone will give a special appeal to the overall composition, regardless of performance - a constituent element of the flower garden composition or an independent structure.
True rockery decoration will be any form of the reservoir. The combination of water and stones gives a special naturalness, harmony, and with it decorativeness to the created rocky garden.
How to make rockeries do-it-yourself: tips
The choice of one or another form of rockery design mainly depends on the topography of the area prevailing in your backyard or dacha plot.
- In the presence of natural slopes, irregularities, small ravines - the form can be almost any or consist of several different elements, united by a single composition.
- It is desirable that the selected area is well lit, otherwise you will have to pick up vegetation that is less demanding to sunlight.
- On a perfectly flat surface, the choice will have to be limited to flat rockeries or artificially create a small scree, which will require additional costs.
- The size of the plot also plays an important role - it is better to equip a terraced flower garden with a stone ladder and paths over large areas.
Having defined the shape and location of the future flower garden of rockery, you can proceed to the immediate step-by-step work.
Planning on the ground and preparatory work. After drawing up a detailed plan on paper, the first practical step in creating rockeries with your own hands is the designation with the help of a tracer cord and wooden pegs of the building’s contours directly on the site.
The next step is the preparation of the soil base, which consists in removing the top fertile layer of soil 20-25 cm deep, thoroughly cleaning it of weeds and roots.
Arrangement of drainage (foundation casting). When creating a flat or miniature rockeries, you can do without a drainage cushion, in all other cases it is obligatory.
When arranging terraces and retaining walls, depending on the condition of the soil, you may additionally need to fill a shallow foundation. As the drainage is used claydite, broken brick or crushed stone, the thickness of the drainage layer is up to 10 cm.
Backfilling, installing stones
Backfilling and installation of large stone elements. If necessary, before filling the soil, it is possible to improve its fertile qualities by adding a portion of sand and peat.
Stones for rockeries, it is desirable to choose different sizes, but one type, often use granite, limestone or tuff, with a pronounced texture.
A small layer of soil mix is poured over the drainage cushion, the largest stones are installed, then the rest of the soil is laid, and smaller stone elements are laid out.
Planting green spaces. After the natural shrinkage of the soil (2-3 weeks), you can start planting selected plants.
It is recommended to begin with woody and conifers, and to finish with perennials and ground cover.
It is important to remember that the main element of the composition are stone elements, and the vegetation acts as a kind of decoration, so do not overdo it with the blossoming representatives - there should not be too many of them.
The final touch is the filling of voids with small gravel or decorative rubble, the installation of miniature garden figures.
Do not be afraid of the complexity of the upcoming works, the main thing is to start building rockeries with your own hands, and in the process there will be inspiration and a desire to create a real paradise on the site. At the same time, you are absolutely not limited in the choice of forms and compositions, the main thing is that the man-made rock garden should harmoniously fit into the overall landscape and have the most natural look.