Deciduous, fast-growing tree 4-5 m tall.
The shape of the crown is pyramidal or wide pyramidal.
The bark is dark, rough.
The leaves are oval, dark green with a bronze sheen, glossy.
Fruits are not large, oval, yellow-orange with a bright red covering blush.
Flowers are dark pink, bloom in May in large quantities.
Decorative apple tree Rudolph is used in landscape design as a solitaire, planted in composition and hedges, alleys. Suitable for growing on the trellis.
For planting choose solar, preferably a place protected from the wind. Soils are preferred fertile, loose, moderately wet, well-drained.
There are a lot of pests in apple trees, the main ones include caterpillars, aphids, leafworms. For their destruction apply systemic insecticides. Leaflets before processing, if possible, are collected together with the leaves and burned. Of the most common fungal diseases are scab and black cancer. Control measures are regular spraying of trees with copper-based preparations (Abiga-Peak, HOM). It is advisable to prevent the occurrence of pests and diseases and comply with the conditions of agricultural technology. Regular fertilization and preventive treatments will greatly enhance the immunity of the Rudolph ornamental apple tree.
Successfully cultivated in the Moscow region. Winter hardiness is high.
Apple Rudolf looks attractive, normally tolerates the effects of adverse external factors, in the care of unpretentious. Consumer qualities of fruits are average. Adult apple trees rarely grow more than 6 m, the diameter of the crown is usually not more than 4 m.
When growing the Rudolph variety in the shaded areas, the decorativeness of the trees is markedly reduced.
All features of the variety:
- Pollinating varieties and self-fertility. To improve growth and yield, the variety is grown adjacent to pollinators. The main varieties - Carpet, Bratchud, Wonderful, Autumnal undersized, etc.
- Rudolph trees have an average height of not more than 5-6 m. In some cases, they may be in the form of multi-trunk shrubs. Branches are arranged vertically, do not deviate from the main trunk. The decorative type of culture has a large part of the year - all thanks to the rounded lush crown with three- and five-lobed leaves of dark green hue. Flowering is long, abundant, fruits are spherical, can be stored for a long time on the branches. There are so many flowers that the crown looks like a pink full of dust. Buds open in simple flowers 3 cm in diameter.
- Trunk. Rudolph apple trees have an average height and a trunk 40-60 cm in diameter.
- The fruits of the variety are very beautiful, have a honey-yellow color and medium taste characteristics. Juiciness is low, viscosity is large, taste is tart. Fresh apples Rudolph usually do not use, but they are ideal for canning, adding to tea, making "dried" (dried fruit from apples).
- The effective life cycle of each Rudolph tree is about 15 years, after which the garden needs to be renewed. Fruits tied well, including under adverse weather conditions, the absence of bees.
- Winter hardiness - zone 3, which allows you to grow apples even in harsh winters. Under adverse climatic conditions, it is possible that freezing of one-year undigested shoots, which quickly recover after pruning, is possible. Fruits begin to fall off only if the temperature drops below -2 degrees.
- Features of the root system. The root rod, like all fruit trees developed, the system of roots is branched and large.
- Rudolph's average yield is about 5 kg per tree. Crop crops are stable, the volume of crops depends on the year. A small amount of fruit is tied in the second year after planting.
- Disease resistance is average. The Rudolph hybrid has good resistance to scab, powdery mildew, it needs additional spraying during cold, wet years (they preserve the decorative qualities of the plant).
Varieties of apple trees of the Rudolph variety are standard and decorative. Decorative - a hybrid variety that looks beautiful on its own and as part of various compositions. Standard apple tree is obtained by grafting and the formation of decorative. The variety is grafted onto an upright flat stem stock that does not contain side shoots. Give the desired shape by trimming. The result is a beautiful straight column with a thick cap at the top.
Planting, growing care
Compliance with the rules of planting and caring for Rudolph apple trees is the key to their successful growth. The basic requirements are the same as for other fruit trees.Rudolph apple trees are planted with seedlings. It is advisable to plant a variety on the eastern (southeastern) slopes, since the lowlands, other wet spots in the garden are not suitable. The absence of gusty winds is desirable, since they negatively affect the life cycle, survival of the plant. Since the variety has an average height and a relatively small crown, it can be planted tightly with other trees. In the autumn planting time do, but you need to have time before the onset of cold weather. There can be a lot of sun in the summer at the landing site, protection is required (it allows you to avoid burns).
Terms, technology and scheme
Planting is carried out in traditional terms - in the fall, beginning in late September, or in spring, closer to the beginning of April. In order for the sapling to take root well and grow, you need to prepare a planting pit:
- A few days before the transfer of seedlings fill the hole with soil with humus peat, manure.
- When you fill a two-thirds pit of a nutritious family, let her pack up.
- Lower the seedling in the prepared place so that the root neck is above the supporting surface. Be sure to straighten the roots.
- Execute garter to support.
To make the apple trees grow better, add dolomite flour / wood ash and potash phosphate fertilizers to the hole during preparation for planting.
What to grow better
For the cultivation of apple Rudolph used high-quality, fresh seedlings. It is recommended to take two-year-olds, as they take root better and begin to bear fruit faster. For the maximum price should not be pursued - ordinary seedlings are cheaper than the dwarf. In order not to buy poor quality planting material, contact a proven nursery.
Distance between trees
Apple Rudolph can be grown alone or as part of group plantings. The optimal distance between the trees is determined based on their purpose. The crown will develop normally and show its beauty only if you leave 4 meters between cultures. For the organization of a hedge, an interval of 1.5 meters is sufficient, and aleine landings - no more than 4 meters.
For good harvests, follow the rules of Rudolph apple trees:
- Watering should be regular - at least 2 times a week. In the first year after planting, trees should be watered as often as possible.
- Make a feeding. In spring, trees need rotted manure and urea, in the summer potassium and phosphorus. In the fall, feeding is stopped so that the tree can prepare for winter.
- Mulching and loosening are required. Add compost, sawdust, hay, grass, peat after each watering. Landing on the slopes is desirable to tin (that is, to sow with herbs).
- Be sure to prevent pests and diseases. - problems are always easier to prevent than to fix.
Ripening and storage of fruits. Rejuvenation
Rudolph - a variety with autumn ripening. The fruits reach full removable maturity in September; exact dates can only be said with regard to the climatic area where the crop is grown. The shelf life of fruits is long, but, as we have already mentioned above, they are not used as food in their pure form. You can immediately let the apples for processing or store them in the refrigerator. Rejuvenation is planned pruning, abundant watering, loosening, soil mulching.
Apple Rudolph, like trees of other varieties, needs pruning for further active growth. In the early years, it is light and aims to form a beautiful crown. In the future, when the tree begins to actively bear fruit, you can remove more extra branches - this is how you improve the appearance of the tree. With abundant fruiting, pruning increases - the apple tree does not suffer much from this, but there will not be too small fruits. In the second year and then the annuals are cut to the same length. With age, kronirovaniya begins to be held to prevent the formation of excess ovaries. Fruits are distributed evenly on the tree, there are no bare places.
If pruning was performed incorrectly, the greatest number of apples will focus on the peripheral parts of the crown, which will adversely affect the decorative characteristics of the variety.
To which regions is the variety better adapted?
Since the Rudolph variety has high winter hardiness, it grows well on different soils. Geography of culture growth - Belarus, Ukraine, Central region, Southern and North-Western regions, the Baltic, Siberia (southern part), the Urals. Special agricultural technology is not needed - it is enough to follow the basic rules of planting and care. With minimal effort, the Rudolph variety forms beautiful decorative complexes. Planting material is inexpensive. To protect the branches and root system from frost, make shelters for the winter.
Rudolph trees are excellent decorations for home gardens, recreation areas, administrative buildings, and courtyards.
Video about decorative apple tree Rudolph.
In terms of sustainability, the variety belongs to zone 3, which allows you to grow an apple tree in cold winters. In severe weather conditions, nevzrevshie annual shoots can freeze slightly, which are easily restored after pruning.
Fruits tolerate temperatures up to -2 degrees, only then they fall.
Apple Rudolph fruits tolerate temperatures up to -2 degrees.
Features of planting and care
Landing carried out in traditional planting dates for the relevant region:
- in the fall - the end of September - the beginning of October,
- in spring - in March - early April.
The key to successful engraftment of the sapling and its further development is the proper preparation of the planting pit:
- The pit is prepared a few days before landing., filling it with a fertile topsoil mixed with humus, rotted manure, peat. 2-3 spoons of phosphorus-potash fertilizers and a handful of dolomite flour or wood ash are added here,
- Landing pit 2/3 filled with nutrient mixture and allowed to condense. The size of the pit should allow the roots to settle freely, without curling,
- The seedling is lowered into the pit so that the root neck remained above the soil,
- Sapling should be tied to a support.
The scheme of planting apple.
Agrotechnics and cultivation
In order for a plant to fully reveal its ornamental potential, it is necessary that it receive sufficiently balanced nutrition and abundant watering.
In early spring, fertilizing with potassium phosphate fertilizers is carried out; for the winter, the soil is mulched with rotted manure and compost.
Spraying the plant with copper-containing preparations before budding and flowering, prevent the development of fungal diseases and damage to leaves and fruits.
Cropping and crown formation
The decorative qualities of apple trees are greatly improved by the annual crown formation. The plant tolerates pruning easily, is quickly restored, therefore the crown can be given any shape that fits well with the chosen composition.
With the help of trimming you can form any crown.
Timing of flowering
Under favorable weather conditions, Rudolph apple blossom can take up to a month, which is much longer than ordinary apples.
The beginning of flowering begins early, which allows you to enjoy beauty for a long time. Flowering annual and abundant.
Blooming apple tree Rudolph.
Beautiful honey - yellow fruits, unfortunately, do not have the same good taste. They not very juicy, viscous, taste tart.
According to these characteristics, the fruit is not very suitable for fresh consumption, but can be used in canning and in tea, as dried fruit.
Thanks to good winter hardiness and ability to grow on various groups of soils, Apple variety Rudolph has a wide geography of distribution:
- Southern regions of Russia,
- south of Siberia.
High decorative qualities Rudolph apple varieties with low cost of planting material and minimal labor costs able to create a uniquely beautiful landscape landscape gardening compositions, trees and shrubs. The tree will advantageously decorate the territory of courtyards, office buildings, recreation areas.